2011-06-07

The EPA crushes people living in the USA .... again

I did a little math based on the content I found and posted below my "green" comments ......
Divide 10.9 Billion dollars by 17,000 lives saved ==> $640,000 per person ........  I hope I got the math right ....    Is that a good expenditure of money ?  I doubt it.  First you have to believe that the EPA is NOT being overly optimistic.  Next you have to believe that $640K per person is a good way to spend money to "save" people.   I can think of better uses for the money.   More bang for the buck.

99guspuppet


EPA Rules on Mercury Will Cost Billions, ‘Do Nothing’

The Environmental Protection Agency has issued nearly 1,000 pages of new rules ordering American power plants to significantly reduce their emissions of mercury and other air pollutants, a move that will reportedly cost electricity producers $10.9 billion a year.

EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson claims the rules will save 17,000 lives and generate up to $140 billion in health benefits, but “there is no factual basis for these assertions,” two experts maintain.

In an opinion piece in The Wall Street Journal, Harvard University scientist Willie Soon, an expert on mercury and public health issues, and Paul Driessen, senior policy adviser for the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow, point out that the United States currently emits only 41 to 48 tons of mercury per year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I invite your comments .... Emulate Socrates ... or a Sophont2 .... Be Polite .... Dent the Universe ..... by 99guspuppet